What is a Junior Counsellor?
Thursday, June 29, 2017
Conference Fee: $75
Deadline to submit Application:
Work Experience Program Dates:
- Month 1: July 4 - 28, 2017
- Month 2: July 31 - August 25, 2017
*You may participate in both months.
Junior Counsellors (or JCs) assist in the classroom at Venture camp. They use their leadership, organization, enthusiasm and creativity to create an exciting learning environment for students!
Who is eligible to be a Junior Counsellor?
If you are a student going into grade 9, 10, 11, or 12 in September 2017, you can apply!!
What is the Junior Counsellor Leadership Program?
A one or two month work experience program as a Venture JC. The work program is filled with leadership and professional experience goals and workshops regulated by the class Instructors and Venture Directors. JC’s have the unique opportunity to engage in self- development through experiential learning.
The Leadership Conference:
- Learn necessary leadership skills and train for the Junior Counsellor position at Venture camp
- Meet the Instructors you will work with during your Work Experience.
- Participate in FUN workshops to gain skills in the following areas:
- Fundamentals of Leadership
- Conflict Resolution and Decision Making
- Collaboration and Group Development
- Counselling Techniques and Effective Communication
- Self-Development and Goal Setting
- Interview Skills
- Receive a letter of recommendation from Venture Directors (to be used for future job or scholarship applications)
- EOHSS Training Qualifications
- Environmental & Occupational Health Support Service Training, great for resumes! (Previous JC’s will receive new certificates)
- Earn High school community service hours
- JCs are invited to complete 2 months at Venture for extra hours and enhanced skills
- Gain insight into University life by shadowing current engineering students at McMaster University
- Receive a Venture JC Certificate stating completion of program
- Learn valuable interview skills
- Formal evaluations - Periodically during camp to keep up your good work!
- Meet other student leaders in your age-group in the program
- Unique experiential learning opportunity: 1 or 2 months in a unique Camp-University environment with campers, students and professionals
All students MUST attend the Leadership Conference to enter the work experience program in July or August.